Thursday 10 October 2013

Castletown The Wonderful Barn


 Goggling on images lead me to find out something so unique and hidden in Ireland. I've been living here for more than 2 decades and didn't realize there is a hidden gem right at my doorstep which is about 1/2 an hour drive. Before we get to the point, I light to share with you on the journey. from M50 heading to Leixlip and Celbridge, pass a place call Salmon's Leap. But I don't see no Salmon leaping after standing here for more than an hour. So I go ahead and in search for this Wonderful Barn. There are no maps, it just said between Celbridge and Leixlip on the edge of Castletown.


The info was Castletown, so I have to pass through Leixlip and Celbridge which is the birthplace of Sir Arthur Guinness, stop by to take a shot of this statue of him. Looks like this village never change since his time.


Well, I reach Castletown House, but I can't see any wonderful barn, this house was build in 1722, a Palladian design. As usual lots of windows, maybe there are no electricity during that time. So I walk around asking for direction with everyone I come across but in vain.


Met a couple of ladies doing their daily walk and strike a conversation with them on where the wonderful barn was. And Susan the chatty box was so helpful, but her guidance leads me nowhere. But she did say something interesting. She ask me do you know where the word Gazebo comes from? Beats me! I am in garden design for so long I didn't care to ask this question myself. Picture above the gazebo is for Lady Louisa which she love to sit there for nice cuppa tea. Anyway, during the olden age, they called their man BO something like boy pr boyfriend. They ladies those days admire their man and proud of their achievement. So this structure is for ladies to sit and Gaze at their man....So that's it. I share with her on the Fcuk you stories of where the word come from with the Yew tree beside. Good laugh and we parted.

So before I begin for the search from Castletown house, I get myself a pot of tea and a scones in this cafe. I see none pamphlets or article about The wonderful barn.



Part of the Palladian House Design, great for wedding photography. It is build in such a way no matter how you align your camera you never able to achieve a vertical line. With your eyes you can align the 7 straight pillars. But when you use your camera it looks like slanting on one side, but if you look at individual pillar they are all straight. Strange.


Here you are, the cream of the crop. After asking more than 10 people on the direction to get here. I finally found it. It seem like no one really pay any attention on these buildings. You see lots of gret monuments, castles and bridges. But have you ever see these in your life. What is it used for? Why are the stairs outside?
Good question, you have to find out yourself then.


Here an image of what I see, I am not a fan of HDR, I like you to see what I see, no frills or to beautify.


The great entrance to The Wonderful Barn. I wonder why they call such a name? Unfortunately, the house been completely seal to prevent vandalism. The Guinness family should have do something like the Castletown House. OPW don't have the budget. I guess.

 Here from another angle. To view more go to my video.

Check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Barn





No comments:

Post a Comment