Sunday 18 August 2013

Leighlinbridge Oldest functional bridge in Europe


No not this. It's Ha'Penny Bridge, wonder why they called it the Hapenny, I guess, during the olden days if you want to cross from the south side to the north side you need to pay a penny for crossing. I am just kidding. Anyway, you can goggle a little if you interested in this bridge. As usual, like most European destination bridge, you see hundreds of lock stuck in there by tourist.


This is it, reputedly one of the oldest functional bridge in Europe. Below the castle lies a priory dated back 1270. No we didn't see the priory, I bet there lots of evidence of Carmelities presents in this part of the world. Because the bridge is built during 14th century.



If you really look at the picture, you notice the architectural buildings and bridge decades apart except the river still flows the same. Bridge is 14th Century, the house is early 18th century, the pyramid building is 21st century. However, the large antennae dated back 1980's.


 You wouldn't have give a second thought if you in this village or passing through. The road is small, just enough for 2 cars. If one car park at the road side, you will be stuck or waiting for the other traffic to ease. 

Many famous people born here, Cardinal Patrick Francis Moran, third Archbishop of SydneyJohn Tyndall, prominent 19th century physicistMyles KeoghAmerican Civil War military, fought in Indian Wars and was killed at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876. The family of Brian Mulroney, former Prime Minister of Canada. Even the meteorite landed here in the late 1999. If you visiting Ireland, make it a list for the place you want to see before you die.
  

As usual, no matter which village I stop, I never leave before getting a nice piece of steak. But this butcher is very special, he still retains the chain curtain and most of all its the only butcher I ever see in Ireland that sells home produce free range beef and lamb. No, I am not going to talk about how the beef like. I do it when I gather more family butchers around the country.


 The buildings with lots of windows was once a warehouse and office for barley and malt storage, and this river plays a very important role during the 17-18 century. They delivers all the booze raw materials to Dublin.



You would be surprised to see such a sign board. this is Gaelic, the real Irish language. I bet you be in for a big surprise if I said, this is a 4in1 shop. Its not just a local grocer store, its a convenience store with, bar and bookies..lol  You can put a bet and watch the horse race, meantime, enjoying a pint of Guinness  get yourself a sandwich and on you way back, tell you wife you go get a milk.....



I know its hard to read, double click it and expand. While I was reading this plaque, my mind was wondering back to the dark ages. I felt myself there except, I can't wait to get back to grill my yummy steak.... Have a good day folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment